The Secret to Sunburn Relief
OK, so all winter we are diligent with our daily skincare regime, cleansing, toning, serums, antioxidants, moisturizers, SPF, exfoliants, corrective and anti-aging potions, you name it…however for some of us, when summer hits (i.e. the first day above 25 oC), we’re like winter hostages set free; we’re all OUTSIDE…we’re mowing the lawn, planting flowers, weeding, sitting on patios, washing the car, going to the park, zoo, lake, mountains…etc. and our virgin, winter-white skin turns pink in no time flat! And even those of us who slather on the sunscreen, wear a hat, sunglasses etc, can inevitably end up with a sunburn…
So then what do we do??
What is the best sunburn relief?
Some easy home remedies:
- Oatmeal is the bomb when it comes to soothing irritated, inflamed skin. It works wonders as a cool compress by wrapping a 1/2 cup of dry oatmeal in gauze, running it under cool water, and applying it directly to your sunburn every few hours.
- A cool shower, or bath, or a cold cloth with a few ice cubes wrapped inside applied directly to the burn.
- adding baking soda to your bath can provide extra pain relief;
- or apple cider vinegar: it sounds like it would sting but it actually provides great cooling and comfort. It’s also antibacterial and can help prevent infection.
- The natural cultures in yogurt can work wonders on dry skin so it makes perfect sense that they would also work magic on a stubborn sunburn. Use yogurt as a topical cream and slather it over sunburned areas, leaving it for 5-minutes, then rinse off under a cool shower.
- Witch hazel is a beneficial natural astringent with anti-inflammatory properties, which is why it also soothes painful acne and razor burn. For a sunburn, apply a few drops on a moist cloth or cotton swab and dab directly onto skin.
- Sunburnt eyelids: use tea bags (black tea, white tea, or green tea) apply a cool tea bag to each swollen eye. The tannic acid within will ease swelling and reduce pain.
- Aloe vera: gels and lotions are awesome.
- If the burn is really itchy and blistering, hydrocortisone can help, but try not to use it for extended periods of time, as it can eventually thin the dermal layer of the skin…(which is what we are always trying to build up with all of our expensive anti-aging skincare products!)
- DRINK WATER!
What to Buy:
DermaMD’s Soy Moisturizer has excellent healing benefits. It is very moisturizing, soothing, calming and provides great sunburn relief! It is also wonderful for chafing, heat rash, eczema, psoriasis, or other skin rashes, excessive dryness, flaking, cracking or inflammation. It’s an overall awesome moisturizer for any kind of skin irritation.